Wednesday, June 16, 2010

New Word Familiar Concept


I learned yesterday about an Arabic word from a young Qatari lady who was describing how the desert can be a rejuvenating place to be. According to the modern Delphic oracle, the internet, the word Brira, from the root "yebra" (to heal), means the feeling of a fresh breeze blowing through your soul and healing you of all care when you stand out in the great wide beauty of the desert. What a wonderful word! I think mountains and rivers can create Brira also. Living in Doha, I must say, in only mild complaint, I feel a distinct lack of Brira.

There is a wonderfully insightful Qatari woman who keeps an amazing blog about life in Qatar called http://thebrirafile.wordpress.com
In your copious spare time, Gentle Reader, ;-) I recommend a trip to the BriraFile.

3 comments:

Jody Ballah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jody Ballah said...

Ruth, in this photo you are a reincarnation of le Petit Prince standing on his planet with his scarf blowing in the wind!

Check it out at:

www.reneenault.com/blog/wp-content/le petitprince.jpg

(I tried to paste the picture here but couldn't figure out how to do it!)

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

Jody is exactly right! I knew that image conjured up a pleasant literary memory.