Friday, June 11, 2010

Birthday in Doha


Thank you, Gentle Readers, for your happy birthday wishes. I skyped Ralph to show him the birthday cake I made for myself: two Digestive Biscuits with Nutella for filling. It was mighty tasty, but unbeknownst to me, there was more to come. (Kendra, this next bit will be familiar to you, but I had to share) I was sitting in my hotel room dutifully grading final research papers (yes, I am finishing my classes online from the Middle East; laugh if you will), and there came a knock at the hotel room door. I got up to see who it might be, and lo and behold, there was a room service guy there with a cake. "Happy Birthday," he said, and handed me the tray with the cake on it, complete with a plate, a card, a carnation, and knife with a white ribbon tied around it. Stupified, I said, "What?", and he replied, "It is your birthday, here is your cake," as if that explained everything. I took the cake and recovered enough to say, "Thank you!". The card read, "Dear Ms. Benander, from the staff of the Ramada Plaza, we wish you a very happy brithday." Can you believe it? The hotel gave me a cake?! Isn't that hilarious?

So that is my birthday in Doha. Three years from 50! I can't wait! (I understand 50 is the new 30).

2 comments:

madamevalerie said...

A very Happy Birthday, Ruth! This one you will never forget.

Frau Page said...

What a neat surprise! Does this every happen anywhere else? I must admit that I thought the biscuits with Nutella was an ingenious substitute, and had to examine the photo to see if it was biscuits (hee hee--thinking, boy, that Ruth really made those biscuits look fancy) before I got to the part about the cake.