Tuesday, May 21, 2013

City of stone and moor

Tt
We arrived in Edinburg in the glowing evening, but the next day, the heavens opened and the rain poured down in a blowing welcome to the North country.  
Above is the castle in the mist and rain.  It was divine!  I loved the stone city in the grey rain, the water making little rivers between the cobble stones and the wind making free with our umbrellas.  I have been to Edinburg several times, and I have never sprung for the cost of actually entering the castle.  But this time I was with a group who Attended Castles, so I went in.  The weather was foul and perfect for this eclectic pile of stone perched on an ancient volcano.
 In the evening while we dried off in our hostel, Debbie read the history of the benighted Rock from her guidebook.  The English took it, the Scots bravely took it back, then the English took it, but the Scots audaciously took it back.  Rinse and repeat.  We visited the Museum of War, but it talked about how the horses got shell shock, and I wept to think of the poor emotional horses being terrified out of their little horsey wits, so I had to go wait for everyone in the lobby.  Then in the next memorial for dead soldiers they did include two horses and a dog, so I was slightly mollified. War. 

I was cheered by our company:  see how cute we are?  

The next day I joyfully climbed Arthur's Tor in Holyrood Park.  It was a delightful to be in the grass above the Stone City.  Our group was congenial, the food was delicious (macaroni and chorizo at the Fiddler's Elbow), and the Edinburg Central Hostel was quite reasonable.  Oh, and I saw more UtiliKilts than regular tartan wool kilts.  Debbie and I agree that more men would wear kilts as it is a most attractive garment for any gentleman.  


2 comments:

Priscilla said...

That must explain it.

Priscilla said...

That the pile of stone sits on a volcano is what I meant. All the sorrow and hardship of the barbarians of the north heats them up in the misty rainy cold. Softie English meanies are jealous and bewildered.