Thursday, April 11, 2013

Going Back to Vienna with Some Friends

May 5, I leave with my bestie Debbie, and sixteen new friends to travel to Vienna, Prague, Harlaxton, and London (in that order).  I will be teaching a course called "The Literary Gothic: Surrealism to Horror", but it's not as bad as it sounds.  I think that the Gothic is an atmosphere in literature that people like because it is about fear. Not to put too fine a point on it, but fear is scary, and our world is becoming a pretty scary place.  If we can read these texts, face these fears, and learn to be brave in the face of uncertainly, dense fog, darkness, and general oppression, then we have a sustaining strength that is a real life skill.

We have a great group. We're meeting on Saturday to talk about packing, intercultural development, and what a real continental breakfast looks like.  A group photo with all our luggage is coming soon!

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

Scary things always scare me. "Deliver us from the evil" is my most fervent part of the Prayer. I don't know if I could pass your course or not, but I truly wish I were among your 16 students!