Saturday, June 25, 2011

Continuing Adventures in Czech Language and Culture




As I was hiking up the hill with the other middle-aged ladies out Doing Business, a woman came up to me and said a rapid sentence in Czech. I understood two words, and they were both street names. I guessed that she was asking for directions, and I repeated the street name I recognized, Narodni. Ano, she said, and then called something to her friend that I guessed was, "Hey, she's got a map!". I showed this person the map and pointed to Narodni Street. Ze? She said pointing down the street. Ano, I said, Ze. I think this meant something like, yes, that way. I recognized the work Djekui as thank you, and I just smiled and waved because I do not yet have the Czech for, you're welcome, in my brain. Nonetheless, that worked out well.

Alas my next attempt at interaction with the grocery store clerk went less well. Grocery stores cause me great anxiety because I was yelled at once in a Swiss grocery store because I did not weigh my apples and mark them before I got to the register. This negative feedback on my lack of grocery cultural competence taught me to do a great deal of observation before getting to the register. I had already observed that you do not get your change in your hand. Instead you let the change be put into a little indentation on the counter and then pick it up, unless it is at a street cart where there is not a cup. Anyway, I got my stuff, and spent a few minutes watching people check out. I noticed that the checkout lady didn't like to make change as well.
I also noticed that she weighed the stuff herself, so I didn't need to weigh anything myself. I had read that I needed my own bag, and I had that. With all my planning ready, I prepared to effect my grocery buying plan.

I put my stuff on the belt, and she ran it all through. She said a long sentence to me that started with Dobry Den and I think that she wanted to know if I had a Tesco savings card. unprepared for that, I was silent, but I should have said Dobry Den back. I'll try that next time. She then pushed all my stuff through and took out a plastic bag for my stuff! Neh, I said and held up my bag. She put the bag away and let me bag my stuff. That seemed okay. Then came the exchange of cash. It was 171 koruna. I pulled out a 100 note,and started to fish for change, since I thought this is her preference. It was, but I was too slow. She leaned over and took the right change out of my hand. It happened really fast! I was sad I was so slow. The numbers came up quickly, I wasn't wearing glasses, and I had to read each coin. *sigh*. Next time, I will be better aware of my coins, and I will greet properly. Was it instrumentally successful? Yes. I got my groceries. Was it socially successful? No. I look forward to the day when I have an service interaction with a Czech person where I do not annoy that person.

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

I very much appreciate your attention to the Czech way and the language and coin. You have a sensitivity for the peculiar in each place and not just a global good will.