Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Traveling to the Gate of Westward Expansion


Well back from the East and now to the West.




I'm off to the Professional and Organizational Development Conference to engage in scholarly discourse with my colleagues in faculty development. I will be blogging from the conference so that you, too, Gentle Reader, can feel like you are attending this conference as well. My goals for this conference are to learn how to do better faculty development for adjunct faculty and to see what kind of research would be useful for next year's conference. I'm thinking we need to do more on faculty learning communities, but we'll see. I'm driving, so I'll have plenty of contemplation time as I trace the trails of the old wagon trains that would leave from Cincinnati in past centuries, arriving in St. Louis for the final provisioning before setting out on the great Trails West through the gateway.

The last time I made this trip for a conference in St. Louis, I was traveling with Sylvia Thompson, a wonderful teacher of developmental English as Raymond Walters and saint up on this earth, God rest her soul. She was a model of love and patience for us all. I can only hope that I can be as kind a person and as patient a teacher as Sylvia was.

No comments: