Tuesday, June 16, 2009

We are here, we are here

The flight was blissfully uneventful. The movies on the flight were formulaic trash which was made all the more obvious and tragic due to the fact that I did not put on the headphones to listen. Every time I looked up, some smooth faced young hero was being thwarted in his or her efforts to defeat evil cop/cia agent/dog catcher/general bad guy whatever. It was the hero's story perverted to its most reductionist pulp. I read literary theory instead. Heathcliff is a terrible person, but far more compelling than the cab driver in Race to Witch Mountain.

Harlaxton welcomed us with a little snack and nice lecture from Earl Kirk, the interim director of student services. Lesley Meese and Jan the Librarian met us at the door. They made us feel we were coming home after a long absence. John the bus driver continued to marvel over the prominent lack of luggage belonging to the "American Girls" and declared them the poster children of packing. I'm not sure he meant the reference to Easter Seals poster children: I think he meant that in the Wheaties sense.

Everybody has lovely rooms with lovely views of the gardens. Well, Josie and Chirsty (I think) actually have a lovely view of the men working on the back garden fountain. They have not yet reported if it is, in fact, a lovely view or not. However, Melissa has a great view of the Rabbit Lawn in front of the Italian garden. I look forward to hearing how many rabbits she will count out on the lawn in the mornings.

Thelma and Natasha instantly wanted to check out bikes and ride to town, but I mentioned the opposite side of the road thing going on here, and they revised their plans to a walk until they could get a look at the route. I have not seen Laura or Katie since everyone was dropped off in their rooms, but I am sure that Katie is leading her own tour, so I'm sure they are having a good time.

3 comments:

Mike said...

HI Ruth, I'm happy to hear you all arrived and are safely ensconced at the Manor. I'll look forward to reading everyone's blogs as the days pass. Everything's quiet here. Say hello to everyone at Harlaxton for me!
Mike

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kendra Leonard said...

"Heathcliff is a terrible person, but far more compelling than the cab driver in Race to Witch Mountain."

This is my new all-time favorite sentence.

I'm jealous but super happy that you have arrived and are all settled in and get to spend so much time doing such fun things!