Thursday, May 27, 2010

How to say "No" in Dubai

There are so many ways to say no. For example, if you ask a German person if there is wireless in the hotel, and there is not, he or she will say, "No, there is no wireless." A Midwestern person would say, "I'm sorry, I'm afraid not, but the Barnes and Noble down the street has free wireless." A person in Dubai will say, "Wireless? Do you mean for the computer? Are you asking if we have wireless? You mean here in the hotel? Oh, well, maybe you can try in another place. I think I know of another place that might have wireless. You could try there." This means, "No. There is no wireless." It also means, "No, there is no wireless down the street, but maybe if you go on that goose chase, you will go away and stop painfully making a request that I am not able to fulfill." Such is the dire politeness here. This most entertaining exchange was repeated in the search for adapters. "You want a three prong American grounded cord adapter for a British socket? You want an adapter? What kind of plug was it? For British, right? Ah, maybe you can try another shop around the corner. They might have one like that." Translation: "No, we don't have that adapter. I don't know what you are talking about when you say grounded American plug. Please go away and ask your painful questions to other people, I don't care where. Maybe I will send you to my friend I am mad at in the shop around the corner. It will serve him right to have to talk to you with your embarrassing requests that cannot be fulfilled in his shop either."

1 comment:

Jody Ballah said...

Wow - I'd better "bone up" on my wireless vocabulary for France!