Thursday, July 2, 2009

Off to Towne

We are off to the Big City now. After our Country residence, we are off for our London Season. Big city living will be pretty interesting after our leisurly life here at the manor where other people make our food, and there are plenty of quiet, private spaces to sit. We are staying in the utter central area of the city across from St. Paul's Cathedral.
Luckily, we are in walking distance of the Blackfriar's Pub, the Globe, and the Tate Modern. These are Good Things. But where will I do my yoga in the morning? I may have to forgo the two mile walk and 1/2 hour of yoga each morning in this urban setting. And this also means no internet access. It is a little odd that going totally urban for us means a big jump down in technology. I have my mobile phone, but who am I gonna call (except for the proverbial ghostbusters)?

While we are here, we will see the Tate Britain and look at the lanscape watercolors of Turner and Constable. Yay! We will also visit 221 Baker St. and check out the invented life of Sherlock Holmes. After our discussions of romanticism and the gothic, I think it is fitting that suddenly we are dispossed of our 19th century country lifestyle here at the manor and, will we or nill we, thrust into the hectic pace of modern life. I hope my companions can feel this as a fun intellectual exercise rather than a brutal shock. I suppose it all depends on how grotty the hostel is...

So, our minimalist urban adventure begins. It will be a few days (okay, six) before I am able to post the summary of our fun, and the end of the journey. Cheers!

No comments: