Wednesday, September 5, 2007

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield

The above phrase is found engraved over the door of the University of Limerick's library. Now, as I recall, over the library at my undergraduate alma mater is carved, "The truth shall make you free." This particulat quote is from John 8:31 where Jesus says to the Jews: "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." The Colorado College was originally a Methodist seminary before it went all secular, but this injunction tells people that you are a slave if you do not follow a particular belief system, and the truth taught by the Son of God is the particular truth that will set you free from your life of defacto sin. So this is an interesting twist on what one learns in college where learning seems to become an act of faith.

In very interesting contrast is the University of Limerick's library injunction. The line is taken from Tennyson's Ulysses where he writes:

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Well, if this does not express a particular take on Irish learning, I certainly do not know what else does. In this case going to the library is an act of patriotism rather than faith.

4 comments:

K said...

As long as nothing reads "Arbeit Macht Frei" over the door, I think you're in a good place. :) Sounds like you're off to a great start!

K

Unknown said...

Well Ruth, it sounds as if you fared well (no pun intended) and are settled in nicely. As you may have guessed, I will anxiously await each of your blog entries. Thus far, having chuckled aloud in a most onry fashion, my hubby must think that surely I'm up to no good. Aw yes, my favorite, highly-educated, talented, soul-muse-sista makes me laugh even from across the big pond.

Thinking of you lots...happy writing dear friend.

R_Lightner said...

That library injunction makes me so tired that I need to take a nap before I continue to strive. Can't we yield just a little bit???

I'm so happy that you are feeling settled. It is still a miserable 92 degrees here today.

Priscilla said...

Granny says that strive, seek, find and stand fast (not yield) is awe inspiring, and yet the hint of the whole quote is heart breaking in the light of the last few hundred years of Irish history. Just take the will to strive and seek, confident of finding, and you have the flavor of anthroposophy! Who knew! Right over the gates at the University of Limerick! The commenter who felt tired after reading it just needs 6 ounces of kombucha morning and evening and he/she will bound up and cheer!